Thursday, August 15, 2013

Thoughts on Human Compassion

Lesson of the week for me: Never care more passionately than someone else about their own problems.
It seems I have had to keep learning this lesson the hard way. Why? Why do I get so obsessive over someone else's issues when it seems they're just sitting back and relaxing? I guess it's a gift and a curse for me.
This "gift" could be used for good and for advocacy - standing up for those who can't stand up for themselves. It becomes a curse when I'm trying to stand up for someone and, for whatever reason, they get more frustrated and turn around and resent me for causing them stress. That is why I have to learn how to detach and disengage from certain people and/or situations.
On another (sad) note, I just lost a second family member to violence within the past 4 months. I get so depressed sometimes thinking of the level of heartlessness people are capable of. Emotions can be a scary thing. I've certainly been so angry with someone that I wanted to seriously hurt them, but thank God, I had a twinge of common sense and thought of the consequences to me and my family if I were to follow through. Unfortunately, it seems like more and more people are not getting that twinge until after they commit senseless acts. Life goes on for the rest of us while we pick up the pieces. I just pray for people to think before they act and to just have a little love and/or respect for the families - especially children - of those they want to cause harm to. :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...