Sunday, November 20, 2011

Time to Get Off the Phone!

As I typed the title of this post, my mind flashed back to my adolescent years when I would spend all day on the phone with my friends, laughing until I heard the inevitable yell from my mother, "Time to Get Off the Phone, Natalie." At that time, I hated those words, but now I am saying them to myself.
I knew customer service and sales were things I was good at, but not things I loved, or even that I could tolerate for long periods of time. After being told this morning, "I don't even think you know what you're doing," even though I had clarified what this person wanted three times, it now looks as though my time for tolerating these people is coming to an end.
On a more positive note, this morning, as I was preparing my peanut butter toast and coffee and thanking God for another meal, I also gave thanks that I am able to actually prepare my own food. It sounds simple, but just the night before, I, and two other women from my church, went to visit one of our shut-in members and had a "mini" church service with her. This was the first time I had done something like this and I was apprehensive at first, but I came away from it feeling so energized and peaceful.
The woman we ministered too, I'll call her "Dee," is confined to her bed. She is about 41 years old and is unable to walk, or take care of herself. She has to depend on other people to fulfill her most basic needs. The most wonderful part about this is her smile and her attitude. She smiled and laughed with us the whole time. Dee never spoke negatively about her condition, in fact, she called herself "God's miracle child." She told us of being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis at age 26, being hospitalized many times, being in a coma for five days and how each time God has saved her and she knows she's here for a reason. Wow!
I can tell you right now, if it had been me, I would be depressed, someone would have to force me to eat because I would want to just lay in my bed and die. It would have been so hard to look at the situation the way Dee does. I believe that is part of the purpose she talked about - making people realize how blessed they are and realizing their situations could be so much worse.
I thank God for that time and I hope to spend more time with Dee, I'm sure I could learn a lot more. We all need to stop and think about what we have. I know life gets hard, but there is always some kind of light, sometimes we just have to look a little bit harder, or a little bit longer to see it.

Recommendation: Whenever I read this blog I am thankful for my children and I am sure to pray for those who have lost their children.

(Please comment on my posts, I would love to know what you think!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...